On Sunday, Submission Underground (SUG) 25 took place live from Portland, OR. In the main event, Pedro Marinho capped off an excellent weekend of competition with a submission win over former SUG title challenger and 10th Planet black belt Andy Varela.
Marinho made his SUG debut just a few weeks ago, earning second place at the SUG absolute tournament; that performance included a submission win over top competitor Roberto Jimenez. Against Varela, Marinho was all offense from the opening bell, attacking with a strong wrestling approach on the feet. Marinho worked hard to snap down Varela’s head, and with just over three minutes remaining in regulation, Marinho snapped Varela down into a locked-in guillotine which he finished on the mat from top position.
Impressively, Marinho’s win over Varela came just two days after Marinho defeated ADCC champion Davi Ramos at Fight To Win 177.
Lower on the card, veteran competitor Edwin Najmi impressed in his SUG debut with an overtime submission win over UFC and Bellator MMA veteran Jeremy Kennedy. Also, ADCC veteran Keith Krikorian showed off his excellent EBI overtime skills with a rear-naked choke on Joey McKay in overtime.
View the full results and highlights from SUG 25 below:
- Pedro Marinho def. Andy Varela via submission (guillotine choke)
- Edwin Najmi def. Jeremy Kennedy via submission (rear-naked choke in overtime)
- Keith Krikorian def. Joey McKay via submission (rear-naked choke in overtime)
- Tag Team BTT (Gilpin/Bessa) def Tag Team Impact (Carron/Palakiko) via submissions (1-0)
- Gustavo Pires def. Nicholas Maximov via submission (armbar in overtime)
- Colton Vaughn def. Eric McConico via overtime escape time
- Aaron Tiegs def. Zachary Minteer via submission (neck crank in overtime)
- Zack Schneider def. Kevin Shaughnessy via submission (achilles lock)
- Ighor Horta def. James Zeng via overtime escape time
- Alex Larmey def. Josian Iwamizu via submission (rear-naked choke)
The post SUG 25 Results and Highlights: Pedro Marinho Guillotines Andy Varela in Regulation appeared first on Grappling Insider.